This post will be used to track candidates, likely candidates, potential candidates and residents that are unlikely / not running for Board of Education in Carroll County in 2024.
Two seats on the Carroll County Board of Education will be open in 2024 (Donna M. Sivigny and Marsha B. Herbert are both term limited and can not run again for Board of Education this election cycle).
Candidates that have officially filed to run for Board of Education in 2024:
Greg Malveaux: Filed on August 29, 2023
- Website: https://www.gregmalveaux.org/
- Social Media:
Kristen Zihmer: Filed on September 5, 2023
- Website: https://www.zihmerforcarroll.com/
- Social Media:
Candidates that have officially declared they are running but have not filed to run officially at this time.
These are potential candidates that The Observer believes may run in 2024
- Amanda Jozkowski – Amanda ran in the 2022 election for Board of Education (5th place in the General Election). She has an open campaign finance entity (that received more than $1,600 in January 2023). Her campaign social media account on Facebook has remained active after the 2022 election ended.
These are names of other potential candidates in 2024.
- Stephanie R. Brooks – ran in the 2020 election (4th place in the General Election). Still has an active campaign finance entity (filed as Affidavit of Limited Contributions and Expenditures (ALCE) in January 2023). No indications that she will run at this time…but the open campaign finance entity leaves the door open for another run.
- James Sivigny – currently a member of the Carroll County Republican Central Committee. No indications that he will run at this time…but would have the potential of a VERY strong candidate with significant name recognition if he decided to seek one of the two open seats.
- Doug Howard – ran in the 2018 election (5th place in the General Election). Still has an active campaign finance entity (filed as Affidavit of Limited Contributions and Expenditures (ALCE) in January 2023). No indications that he will run at this time…but the open campaign finance entity leaves the door open for another run.
- Ronald Zepp – Recently spoke at a Carroll County Board of Education meeting (Learn More) and was a candidate for Maryland State Senate way back in 2002. For those reasons he has made it onto the radar as a possible candidate in 2024.
Unlikely / Declined to Run Candidates
These are potential candidates that have declared they will not run in 2024 or potential candidates that have closed their campaign finance entities.
- James Miller – candidate in 2022 (4th place in the General Election). Closed his campaign finance entity.
- Tom Scanlan – candidate in 2022 (6th place in the General Election). Closed his campaign finance entity.
- Pat Sands – candidate in 2022 (8th place in the Primary Election). Closed his campaign finance entity.
- Katie Speert – The Observer opinion is that Katie Speert is unlikely to seek a seat on the local BOE in the 2024 election cycle.
Some important dates for the 2024 Election
Candidate Filing Deadline: Candidate Filings begin on Thursday, January 19, 2023. You must make an appointment to file for candidacy. Two seats for the Board of Education will be open. Appointments to file for the Board of Education can be made here. All other offices appearing on the 2024 ballot will file for office at the Maryland State Board of Elections. A staff member will contact you to confirm your appointment. The deadline is Friday, February 9, 2024. (See this information here: https://elections.carrollcountymd.gov/candidateFiling.aspx)
Primary Election – May 14, 7 am until 8 pm
- Early Voting for the Primary Election – Thursday, May 2, 2024 through Thursday, May 9, 2024 from 7 am until 8 pm. (Pending Governor Signature)
General Election – November 5, 2024, 7 am until 8 pm
- Early Voting for the General Election – Thursday, October 24, 2024 through Thursday, October 31, 2024 from 7 am until 8 pm.
Here is the official list of candidates in 2024 from the State Board of Elections website: https://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2024/Primary_candidates/gen_cand_lists_2024_3_by_county_6.html
Here is a good link to view the latest registered campaign committees in Maryland: https://campaignfinance.maryland.gov/Public/ViewCommiteesMain
Note: Have names you think should be added to the list – email: email@example.com and let us know the name(s) and why you think they should be added.