The Carroll County Observer will be tracking the early voting turnout throughout the 2022 General Election (Oct 27th – Nov 3rd).
Here is a recap of early voting in Carroll County through day 7:
- Westminster continues to have the lion share of early voters through day 7 (5,916 votes cast at that location in six days).
- The turn out numbers continued to increase on day 7 (Wednesday) and we should continue to see these numbers rise on Thursday.
- There have now been more votes cast in Early Voting than in Mail In Voting (at least for now) in Carroll County. See additional details on mail in voting below.
- Thursday (November 3rd) is the final day of Early Voting.
- Election Day is November 8th
Of the 11,282 votes cast on days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7:
- 3,168 are registered Democrats
- 119 are registered Green, Libertarian, WCP or Other
- 6,461 are registered Republicans
- 1,534 are registered as Unaffiliated / Independent
The 11,282 votes cast to date makes up 8.84% of eligible voters in the county. This percentage continues to top the statewide early voting % turnout (7.13% statewide through day 7).
Fun Fact: Of the jurisdictions in Maryland with over 100,000 eligible voters…Carroll County has the third highest percentage of early voters to eligible voters:
- Harford County: 9.50%
- Howard County: 8.87%
- Carroll County: 8.84%
- Baltimore County: 7.71%
- Charles County: 7.44%
- Anne Arundel County: 7.39%
- Prince George’s County: 6.46%
- Frederick County: 6.38%
- Montgomery County 6.19%
- Baltimore City: 4.18%
Obviously mail in voting has likely changed how many people come out and vote early. The question that should be asked…do we still need 8 days of early voting now that we have a significantly expanded mail in voting system in Maryland? Something to think about for the future.
Looking back at the past 2 Gubernatorial elections:
- 2018: 14,351 total votes cast through day 7 of early voting in Carroll County (2 early voting locations)
- 2014: 6,585 total votes cast through day 7 of early voting in Carroll County (1 early voting location)
The Observer will continue to track this data daily through Early Voting.
Here is a look at mail in voting for the 2022 General Election as of November 2nd (the latest information available):
Total votes cast to date by party affiliation (Early Voting + Mail In Voting):
- Democrats: 8,315 votes cast
- Republican: 10,044 votes cast
- Unaffiliated / Independent, Green, Libertarian, WCP or Other: 3,302 votes cast
Eligible Active Voters in Carroll County: 127,605 | Total Votes Cast To Date (Mail In + Early Votes): 21,661 | Voter turnout so far: 17%
Here is the latest total voter turnout (focusing on the 10 largest counties in the state of Maryland) as of November 3rd:
Carroll County ranks:
- 4th in Mail In Voting turnout: 8.13%
- 3rd in Early Voting turnout: 8.84%
- 3rd in Overall Voter turnout: 16.98%
Early Voting for the General Election: Thursday, October 27, 2022 through Thursday, November 3, 2022 from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.
General Election: November 8, 2022, 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.