The Carroll County Observer will be tracking the early voting turnout throughout the 2022 General Election (Oct 27th – Nov 3rd).
Here is a recap of early voting in Carroll County through day 4:
Total votes cast in Carroll County through day 4: 5,974
- Westminster continues to have the lion share of early voters through day 4 (3,135 votes cast at that location in four days).
- Saturday and Sunday are historically low voter turnout days so the drop in votes on day 3 and day 4 should not be surprising. The turnout numbers should pick back up on day 5 (Monday).
- The Observer is scheduled to visit the North Carroll and Westminster early voting locations on the morning of day 5 to chat with candidates and take photos for the community. Be sure to follow the Carroll County Observer on Facebook to see the photos.
Of the 5,974 votes cast on days 1, 2, 3 and 4:
- 1,685 are registered Democrats
- 67 are registered Green, Libertarian, WCP or Other
- 3,413 are registered Republicans
- 809 are registered as Unaffiliated / Independent
The 5,974 votes cast to date makes up 4.68% of eligible voters in the county. This percentage continues to top the statewide early voting % turnout (3.43% statewide through day 4).
Fun Fact: Of the jurisdictions in Maryland with over 100,000 eligible voters…Carroll County has the second highest percentage of early voters to eligible voters:
- Harford County: 4.77%
- Carroll County: 4.68%
- Howard County: 4.47%
- Anne Arundel County: 3.63%
- Baltimore County: 3.60%
- Charles County: 3.47%
- Frederick County: 3.27%
- Montgomery County 2.91%
- Prince George’s County: 2.81%
- Baltimore City: 1.92%
Obviously mail in voting has likely changed how many people come out and vote early. The question that should be asked…do we still need 8 days of early voting now that we have a significantly expanded mail in voting system in Maryland? Something to think about for the future.
Looking back at the past 2 Gubernatorial elections:
2018: 7,541 total votes cast through day 4 of early voting in Carroll County (2 early voting locations)
2014: 3,068 total votes cast through day 4 of early voting in Carroll County (1 early voting location)
The Observer will continue to track this data daily through Early Voting.
Here is a look at mail in voting for the 2022 General Election as of October 30th (the latest information available):
Total votes cast to date by party affiliation (Early Voting + Mail In Voting):
- Democrats: 6,171 votes cast
- Republican: 6,540 votes cast
- Unaffiliated / Independent, Green, Libertarian or Other: 2,314 votes cast
Eligible Active Voters in Carroll County: 127,605 | Total Votes Cast To Date (Main In + Early Votes): 15,025 | Voter turnout so far: 11.8%
Early Voting for the General Election: Thursday, October 27, 2022 through Thursday, November 3, 2022 from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.
General Election: November 8, 2022, 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.
Learn more: https://elections.carrollcountymd.gov/Default2.aspx