The Carroll County Observer will be tracking the early voting turnout throughout the 2022 General Election (Oct 27th – Nov 3rd).
Here is a recap of early voting in Carroll County through day 3:
- Westminster continues to have the lion share of early voters through day 3 (2,495 votes cast at that location in three days).
- Saturday and Sunday are historically low voter turnout days so the drop in votes on day 3 and day 4 should not be surprising. The turnout numbers should pick back up on day 5.
- The Observer made sure to make it out and vote this weekend:
Voted this morning. Weekends are great for early voting…it is always slow at the early voting centers and you can get in and out quick. pic.twitter.com/2bu5V5yiUK
— Carroll County Observer (@CarrollObserver) October 29, 2022
Of the 4,732 votes cast on days 1, 2 and 3:
- 1,340 are registered Democrats
- 55 are registered Green, Libertarian or Other
- 2,721 are registered Republicans
- 616 are registered as Unaffiliated / Independent
The 4,732 votes cast to date makes up 3.71% of eligible voters in the county. This percentage continues to top the statewide early voting % turnout (2.80% statewide through day 3).
Fun Fact: Of the jurisdictions in Maryland with over 100,000 eligible voters…Carroll County has the second highest percentage of early voters to eligible voters:
- Harford County: 4.00%
- Carroll County: 3.71%
- Howard County: 3.48%
- Anne Arundel County: 2.97%
- Baltimore County: 2.96%
- Charles County: 2.90%
- Frederick County: 2.60%
- Prince George’s County: 2.35%
- Montgomery County 2.30%
- Baltimore City: 1.59%
Obviously mail in voting has likely changed how many people come out and vote early. The question that should be asked…do we still need 8 days of early voting now that we have a significantly expanded mail in voting system in Maryland? Something to think about for the future.
Looking back at the past 2 Gubernatorial elections:
2018: 5,864 total votes cast through day 3 of early voting in Carroll County (2 early voting locations)
2014: 2,751 total votes cast through day 3 of early voting in Carroll County (1 early voting location)
The Observer will continue to track this data daily through Early Voting.
Here is a look at mail in voting for the 2022 General Election as of October 29th (the latest information available):
Total votes cast to date by party affiliation (Early Voting + Mail In Voting):
- Democrats: 5,729 votes cast
- Republican: 5,788 votes cast
- Unaffiliated / Independent, Green, Libertarian or Other: 2,081 votes cast
Early Voting for the General Election: Thursday, October 27, 2022 through Thursday, November 3, 2022 from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.
General Election: November 8, 2022, 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.