The eight days of early voting in Maryland came to an end yesterday (November 3rd).
Here is a recap of early voting in Carroll County through day 8:
- Westminster had the most early voters (7,334 votes cast at that location)
- The turn out numbers on day 8 (Thursday) was the most of any day which tracks with what we have seen in past elections.
- The 2,929 votes cast on day 8 countywide is the highest single day early voting in a General Election (beating out the 2016 vote count on day 8 of 2,797 votes cast).
- There have now been more votes cast in Early Voting than in Mail In Voting (at least for now) in Carroll County. See additional details on mail in voting below.
- Election Day is November 8th
Of the 14,211 votes cast during early voting:
- 4,028 are registered Democrats
- 142 are registered Green, Libertarian, WCP or Other
- 8,086 are registered Republicans
- 1,955 are registered as Unaffiliated / Independent
The 14,211 votes cast to date makes up 11.14% of eligible voters in the county. This percentage continues to top the statewide early voting % turnout (9.26% statewide)
Fun Fact: Of the jurisdictions in Maryland with over 100,000 eligible voters…Carroll County has the third highest percentage of early voters to eligible voters:
- Harford County: 11.90%
- Howard County: 11.57%
- Carroll County: 11.14%
- Baltimore County: 9.91%
- Charles County: 9.83%
- Anne Arundel County: 9.58%
- Prince George’s County: 8.71%
- Montgomery County 8.31%
- Frederick County: 8.18%
- Baltimore City: 5.67%
Obviously mail in voting has likely changed how many people come out and vote early. The question that should be asked…do we still need 8 days of early voting now that we have a significantly expanded mail in voting system in Maryland? Something to think about for the future.
Looking back at the past 3 Gubernatorial elections:
- 2018: 16,929 total votes cast through early voting in Carroll County (2 early voting locations)
- 2014: 8,016 total votes cast through early voting in Carroll County (1 early voting location)
- 2010: 5,210 total votes cast through early voting in Carroll County (1 early voting location and only 6 days of early voting that year).
Here is a look at mail in voting for the 2022 General Election as of November 3rd (the latest information available):
Total votes cast to date by party affiliation (Early Voting + Mail In Voting):
- Democrats: 9,355 votes cast
- Republican: 11,818 votes cast
- Unaffiliated / Independent, Green, Libertarian, WCP or Other: 3,822 votes cast
Eligible Active Voters in Carroll County: 127,605 | Total Votes Cast To Date (Mail In + Early Votes): 24,995 | Voter turnout so far: 19.6%
Here is the latest total voter turnout (focusing on the 10 largest counties in the state of Maryland) as of November 3rd:
- 5th in Mail In Voting turnout: 8.45%
- 3rd in Early Voting turnout: 11.14%
- 3rd in Overall Voter turnout: 19.59%
The Observer will continue to watch and report on the Mail In votes returned up to Election day. Be sure to follow The Observer on Facebook for the latest updates: https://www.facebook.com/CarrollObserver
General Election: November 8, 2022, 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.