Announced by Carroll County Public Schools (CCPS) on August 23rd:
The Board of Education of Carroll County is seeking feedback on proposed revisions to Board Policy BEDH – Citizen Participation at Board Meetings.
The proposed revisions are intended to improve the efficiency of the citizen participation process. Under the revised policy, the Board would implement an online registration process. A total of 15 slots would be available. Statements to the Board should relate to an agenda item for that evening’s public meeting. The Board would continue to receive public comments through the CCPS website.
The proposed revised policy is available for review here.
Citizens may click here to submit comments online or to send comments by U.S. mail to the Superintendent’s Office, Carroll County Public Schools, 125 North Court Street, Westminster, MD 21157. Citizens also may give public comment during citizen participation at the Board of Education meeting on Wednesday, September 14, 2022. The meeting will begin at 5:00 p.m. with time for citizen participation at approximately 5:15 and again later in the meeting.
Some of the notable changes include:
- Carroll County residents who wish to speak at an upcoming Board meeting should register in advance at the link on the www.carrollk12.org website. Alternatively, citizens may call the Communications Office at 410-751-3020 to register. A total of 15 slots will be available. Those who register will be notified if they have been selected to speak at the Board of Education meeting.
- When their name is called, citizens are asked to come forward and state their name and where their children attend school. Citizens who do not have children in Carroll County Public Schools are still encouraged to speak.
- Statements to the Board should relate to an agenda item for that evening’s meeting
- The Superintendent/Board reserve the right to correct misinformation, presented as factual, after the conclusion of the citizen participation period.
- The Board reserves the right to limit the number of speakers on a particular topic so that all topics may be addressed.
- Those seated in the audience are asked to be respectful of the speaker and refrain from commenting to the speaker or to Board members.
See the full proposal here: 2-Proposed Revisions to Policy BEDH CItizen Participation at Board Meetings
You can watch the discussion on this topic at the August 17th Board of Education meeting here: