Here is information about the Winter Storm Warning for Carroll County from the National Weather Service (NWS) on March 12th:
…WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THIS MORNING TO 3 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON…
* WHAT…Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches. Northwest winds will gust around 45 to 55 mph.
* WHERE…Portions of north-central Maryland as well as western Loudoun County in Virginia and northern Fauquier County in Virginia.
* WHEN…From 6 AM this morning to 3 PM EST this afternoon. Rain will change to snow between 7 AM and 9 AM this morning. A band of moderate to heavy snow is most likely through late this morning before tapering off to a lighter snow early this afternoon.
* IMPACTS…Plan on slippery road conditions. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Visibility may be reduced to below one- quarter mile at times. Brief near blizzard conditions are possible. Snowfall rates around one to two inches per hour are expected this morning.
See the full details of the warning here: https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MDZ005&warncounty=MDC013&firewxzone=MDZ005&local_place1=3%20Miles%20N%20Eldersburg%20MD&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning&lat=39.4449&lon=-76.9351#.YixiVRDMIUo
Here are snow estimates published yesterday afternoon from the NWS:
The weather forecast for today:
Saturday: Rain, snow, and sleet, becoming all snow after 8am. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 25 by 5pm. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly clear, with a low around 15. Blustery, with a west wind 17 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
I can confirm that at 4:15am that the rain has already moved into our area.
Follow the Carroll County Observer on social media today as I plan on publishing photos, videos and snow totals throughout the day from the Finksburg area.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CarrollObserver
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarrollObserver
If you have photos you would like to share with the community…send those along and I will share across the social media channels of the Observer.
Let’s all hope this is the final snow storm we see this season. I am ready to move on to nice spring time weather.